Monday, March 8, 2010

Weekend 3/6-3/7

Great weekend. Spent the day Saturday along the PA/MD border, trying some local wineries. I was really surprised - the wine at all 6 wineries was pretty impressive. I think most people (myself included) have a negative opinion of most Pennsylvania wines, but these had some really good flavors. Wineries we visited:

Moon Dancer Vineyards & Winery - Wrightsville, PA
First winery we visited, and definitely the most expensive. Only 1 or 2 bottles available for less than $20. Reserve Chardonnay and the Meritage were the best. Really nice place, up on a hill overlooking the Susquehanna River.

Allegro Vineyards - Brogue, PA
We discovered that this winery sells bottles at Giant in Mechanicsburg and Enola. Fanfare (Chardonnay/Gewurtztraminer blend) was best white we had all day.

Fiore Winery - Pylesville, MD
Possibly the most accomplished of the wineries we visited. Lots of award/medal winners. Great Sangiovese. Caronte (Merlot/Cab/Sangiovese) blend might have been the best dry red we tasted all day.

Woodhall Wine Cellars - Parkton, MD
Really close to I-83 in MD. Big tasting, we probably tried 12 different wines. Best white: Seyval, best red: Reserve Merlot.

Basignani Winery - Sparks Glencoe, MD
Great reds, especially Marisa and Erik's Big Zin.

Naylor Winery - Stewartstown, PA
Last winery we visited. First Capital was really good, even though it was semi-dry. Shiraz was good too.

Saturday evening we had the usual gang over for dinner, then watched Zombieland. Hilarious.

Sunday was a lazy day... pancakes for breakfast, washed and cleaned out the cars, then walked to the dog park with Sydney and Jo, where we met Jared, Jen, and Tessie (their German Shepard). The place was PACKED. Typical Sunday dinner at the Legion in Dillsburg.

Anyone else think the Oscars was a snooze-fest? I couldn't stay awake... seemed a lot more lame this year than in the past.

1 comment:

J.Washburn said...

Hey, I know this is all old news. I haven't read/written in the blog for awhile. But, thanks again so much for taking me on the mini-wine trip that day back in March. It really helped to take my mind off my dad, which I needed. I originally wasn't going to go because I was feeling so sick that morning, but I am glad I did. I would have been home all day by myself otherwise and sulking had I not gone. Thanks, again.