Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

I can remember the exact moment I heard about what was going on in NYC on 9/11.

2001 was my freshman year in college. I had the worst class schedule of all time. Mon, Wed, and Fri I didn't have a class until 2:00 in the afternoon. Tues. and Thurs. I had classes at 8 AM. Basically, I never got into any sleep routine because I always wanted to sleep in M/W/F and had to get up at the crack of dawn on T/Th. 9/11 was a Tuesday, so I had gone to my 8 AM class (I think it was a Geography course), and I remember coming back to my dorm afterward and hearing someone talk about a fire in one of the World Trade Center buildings in New York. I didn't think much of it until I got upstairs to my room - 721 Sanderson Hall - and turned the TV on.

It was pretty crazy to live through those days after 9/11... experiencing college for the first time as a freshman, while this huge crisis was occurring... basically watching the news all day on TV while still going to classes and, slowly, life moving on. Not a day I'll soon forget.

No comments: